Saturday, September 24, 2011

HOSPITAL

Dad checked into the hospital first thing yesterday. They didn't have a bed available until 3:00 that afternoon. Dad ended up hanging out on another floor, just waiting for a room to open up. They did start him on some bicarbonate fluids to help his pH level get to the right level for his first chemotherapy treatment, but that was started quite late in the game, too. He finally got started on chemotherapy at 8:00 last night.

To say that I was frustrated is an understatement. It's so difficult to be patient when things like this just shouldn't happen. Mom and Dad are patient saints (although I think that Mom even needed to go outside, drink a Coke, and get some fresh air), but I was ready to hop on a plane and demand that Dad get started! (I'm sure I'd have a lot of pull. Ha! Ha!). It isn't fun being in the hospital, and to spend an entire day, just waiting, is definitely a drag.

The oncologist did visit Dad last night and asked a lot of questions about Dad's health. The oncologist concluded that Dad probably had a bowel infection and got him going on a probiotic prescription. It's supposedly not a big deal, and very common, but I think that it must have been a rough day for everybody. Hopefully, we'll have better luck now that chemotherapy has started. Thank heaven Dad has only one treatment left after this. I think Mom and Dad are hammered!

2 comments:

  1. I so agree with you Kellie-I would of done a terms of endearment moment and yelled at somebody!
    Your parents are so awesome---love you all to pieces; Ron so glad only one more to go!

    Love, The Thomsons

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH! Its so yucky that they make an awful process even worse by wasting a whole day - and in a hospital of all places! I know you wish you could be closer Kellie. Hang in there everyone!

    ReplyDelete